Friday, November 30, 2007

Father's Birthday & the Colonel's Chicken

Today is my father's birthday and unintentionally forgot to get the birthday card and a present.

I don't even think my dad even realized it was his birthday today. We've been so wrapped up on the preparations for his and my mom's trip to the Philippines, that we just didn't realize what today really was. I'm guessing that we're not in a celebratory mood with having my grandmother passing away last Sunday.

I'm going to try to make it up by picking up a bucket of chicken from Colonel Sanders. It's an unofficial family tradition to have KFC for birthdays, and other occasions worth celebrating. I'm guess it stems from our family's translation of "bringing home the bacon" except we'd rather have chicken. "Bringing home the bucket" has become a symbol of celebrating one's success. We had chicken when I got my first job and pay raise. We had chicken for mother's day and father's day. I think we had it for Christmas last year but I don't remember.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that we don't like to cook. On the contrary, the "bucket" is often accompanied by other foods that my family meticulously makes like lumpia and pansit. All in all, we love KFC for sentimental reasons and today on my father's birthday we will be having this food of the gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment