Saturday, April 5, 2008

Neglecting my Blog

Whoa! It's been more than a month since I actually blogged. That is something I did not mean to do. Life just has habit of getting in my way when comes to posting online.

So, where to begin? Since my last post, I have managed to buy two laptops. I bought one for my parents to replace their old desktop that was running Win2k. The machine finally reached a point where it could not be updated or upgraded, and the only prudent thing to do was to convert the thing to a print-server and get them a new system. When I managed to find a good deal on a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 at Best Buy (They were down to $449 last time I checked) that I decided to grab one for myself. The system isn't cutting edge, but it's more than good enough to do word processing and surfing the web.

Here's the specs for all you Tech Monkeys out there:

  • Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T2330 with 533MHz front side bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.6GHz processor speed

  • 1GB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

  • 15.4" WXGA TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 resolution; native support for 720p content
  • 120GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 with 128-251MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

  • 2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

  • Built-in Realtek high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps high-speed modem
  • Weighs 6 lbs. and measures just 1.6" thin for easy portability; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter

  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 9.0, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more


So, like I said. This isn't the latest and greatest but I'm a big fan of Toshiba. They tend to
make very sturdy systems. My first laptop was a Toshiba that I bought back in
2000 and it's still in working condition.

The other reason for buying me a laptop was that I needed another Vista machine that I could do some testing on. I really didn't want to kill my only other Vista machine in doing some of my compatibility testing and system tweaking experiments. You would be amazed at how many people ask me if some old program that they bought will work on Vista and you'd be more surprised to know that many of them do work. Many of the software companies out there just tend to encourage you to spend your money to buy the latest version when in reality
you really didn't have to.

Since, using these computers I haven't had any problems with them. I did have to do quite an extensive "decrapifying" on these machines since it does come with all the usual crapware that comes with brand new systems.

Aside from my new tech toys, this monkey is in the middle of researching whether to buy a house or rent an apartment. Both have their pros and cons and all I that I have come to realize is that I need to do more research.

As usual, ByteMonkey's work life is mind-numbingly busy and his social life is still killed-in-action. Trust me. You would know if anything interesting happens to me. It's the reason I have a blog.

Well, that's all for now.... ByteMonkey singing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment