Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Their Passion is XP"

I was going through the Associated Press web site to get my fix of current events and news, when I came across an article titled "Their Passion is Windows XP" by Jessica Mintz.

Apparently, there are people all over the world that is fighting to keep Windows XP alive. Various online petitions and letter campaigns have been continuously churning since Microsoft announced that XP will eventually have to retire. It would seem that people just don't like Windows Vista and some are holding out for the next version of Windows. Now, Microsoft has already postponed ending full support for XP twice to keep everyone happy, but I'm not sure they'll extend it one more time.

Now, here's my problem with this. All the people I know complain about how they want their systems to be secure. So, Microsoft actually gives them a more secure system through features like the security prompts in Vista, but they complain that it's annoying. "They never had this in XP" they tout.

Well folks, that is the price of security. You either know what the hell is going on in your computer or you don't. And when you remain ignorant and let your system decided things for you, the you end up with unintentionally opened ports and your hard drive becomes the Noah's ark for computer viruses. IT'S WHY YOU WERE HAVING VIRUS PROBLEMS WITH YOUR SYSTEM IN YOUR XP SYSTEM.

I have Vista on my new laptop and I have nothing to complain about it. The interface is nice and 90 percent of my old programs work. The last 10 percent required an update from the publishers, but that was because I was too lazy to actually upgrade when I was told that there were updates available. This wasn't something that I couldn't fix through. All I really needed was a free weekend.

Now, if you want to buy a new computer, you'll have to accept the fact that you won't be able to buy an off-the-shelf machine with XP on it. Some of the machines currently out there weren't designed with XP drivers, so if you decide to down grade a newly purchased system, you'll probably go mad trying find something the totally works.

PEOPLE! You need to accept that things change. If you're happy with your XP system then keep using it. No one says that XP will stop working when MS stops supporting it. You just won't get any high level technical support for it anymore. The operating system will continue working for years and years until you realize that you're the only one using it and you look like a tech-troglodyte.

If you decided that want to put XP on a system that was designed for Vista, please don't call this monkey. Seriously. I'm tired of saying the same thing over and over again. If you want XP, buy an old computer! Don't expect me to help you put XP on some 64-bit quadra-core system that has documentations that says that they do not have drivers in XP. Because if you do, I will smack you with my tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment