Monday, December 22, 2008

What to do with your Christmas Gift Money?

utterli-image
If you’re fortunate enough to have the problem of not knowing what to do with money that you received as gifts for Christmas, then I have a suggestion for you. I say forgo the idea of stashing away your cash and help jump start the economy by buying something. But, don’t buy just anything, Buy something awesome. Buy a retro-gaming system.

Although, it may not be apparent to any of you, I am an avid video gamer. I’ve been hooked ever since my hands first gripped my first joystick twenty years ago. The games had simple game play mechanics but had enough of challenge to them. Those were good times. No. Those were great times.

So during my routine web scouring, I found something that brought about a strong sense of nostalgia. I was surprised to find out that there were still people (in China) that are still making video game system for what is now referred to as classic “grand pa” games.

Like an old music buff rediscovering his love for listening to music on a turntable, I have rediscovered it’s equivalent for gamers. I still have all my old game cartridges for the NES and SEGA but my consoles have died so long ago. This find has made me optimistic and long to play my original copies of Altered Beast, Battle Toads, Zelda, Double Dragon, Duck Hunt and Metroid.

Some of you will say that you could play/buy those games on the Wii or find ROMS online for them and I agree with you. I have even done that myself but there was something missing or something wasn’t quite right. I wasn’t getting the same excitement or experience as I did when I played those games on a console. There was something about having to set the game cartridge just right into the system or having to blow on the game cartridge to get the dust out on them so that they work. The whole experience is muted when you through the more efficient Wii or illegal ROMS.

So here I am excited and I have figured out what do with some of the money that I will get this Christmas. I hope that I’ll have enough money after I pay my bills to pick one of these systems up.


If you’re interested in finding out more about these retro-systems, go to http://www.videogameaction.com/…tendo.html

Mobile post sent by ByteMonkey using Utterli. reply-count Replies.

No comments:

Post a Comment