Sunday, September 20, 2009

Geeking Out On-the-Road

Well, I know I promised that I would post a lot more than what I've been doing, but life keeps getting in the way.

Most of my free time has been eaten up by my whoring myself into doing in-house computer repairs and 1-on-1 computer training sessions for people who want to learn more about their computers. Sure, it's not the glamorous work you'd expect a 13-year web development veteran to be doing, but to be honest, I really need the money. Good web projects are starting to get hard to come by and these days I'm taking anything that comes my way.

Lately, I've been finding myself on the road a lot more. As a result, I convinced myself to get a decent detachable WiFi antenna rig mounted on my car. Aside from war-driving, it allows me to get a stronger and more stable connection to any public hot-spots in the area. Last night was my first field test of my rig and it worked out pretty well. The rig consists of a Hawking USB wireless network adapter (the kind of that has a removable antenna) and a generic magnet mounted WiFi antenna that I found on eBay. So far, the whole thing is working as expected. I'm using my Asus netbook for this project since it is small enough to carry around. There is one drawback. My car now screams "geek-inside" whenever I'm parked somewhere looking for wifi.

No comments:

Post a Comment