Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My New Phone: LG Spyder II 840

After being burned by the Motorola Evoke QA4 (Read: A Phone Upgrade Story), I decided that I would wait a while before getting a new phone. Well, when the key pads on my old Motorola ROKR z6m started to peel off, I decided that it may be time again to look into getting a new phone.

This time around, I decided that I would do a lot more research than what I had done for the Evoke. I looked through several cell phone forums and read many user reviews while bypassing anything that was obviously product marketing material.

With everything that I read, I decided that the LG Spyder II 840 at Cellular South would sufficiently meet all my needs in a mobile phone. (Those needs which were: a decent digital camera, ability to set custom ring tones, picture and text messaging, and a decent web browser). All these features were supposedly on this phone, and if it all proved to be true, then I would definitely go for this phone.

I decided to forgo ordering the phone online despite the possibility of being able save a few dollars. Personally, I'm the kind of person who needs to see and hold a phone in my hands especially since it's something that I'll be using all the time. When I saw first saw the phone, I was a bit hesitant. It looked too good to be true. It reminded me too much of the Motorola Evoke with all it's shiny accents, and I have learned that looks can be quite deceiving when it comes to performance

When I finally got around to playing with the phone, I was actually impressed at how intuitive the menu and how responsive the touch screen was. The phone supposedly had widgets but I discovered that they weren't really widgets or apps. They were more like shortcuts to applications that the phone had. The camera on the phone is awesome. It's 1 more megapixel than Motorola Evoke making it a capable 3 MP camera. The phone also plays MP3 music and is able to take a standard set of headphones with it's standard headphone jack. I haven't tried the video recording on it but I wasn't really interested in that feature since you can't send videos on the Cellular South network. All in all, I was impressed enough with the phone that I decided to buy it.

I have had the phone since September 26th and I haven't encountered anything bad or weird. The only thing that took me some time to figure out was how to upload my own personal/custom ring tones. It turns out that the key to getting your own ringtones on the Spyder II is realizing that QCP files are basically renamed WAV files which means that you'll need to convert your old MP3 ringtones to WAV files and rename the extension to OCP to make them work.

So far, I'm enjoying the LG Spyder II 840. It's my first LG phone and the Spyder II has really made a good impression on me.

If you want to do more research on the phone, you'll discover that it's also called the LG Tritan under Alltel and U.S. Cellular. All in all, I recommend getting the Spyder II from Cellular South. since they have the best and cheapest unlimited plan for mobile phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment