Monday, November 2, 2009

The Quest for Voltron

In 1984, Voltron was introduced to the world, and eventually, thousands of children begged their parents for a Voltron robot for their birthday or Christmas.

I was not an exception to this phenomenon, but the reality was that my family couldn't afford the luxurious toy so I never actually owned one. Instead, my parents would take me and my brother to visit the toy at the department store while they did their shopping. I remember staring at the toy from behind the display case glass and imagined how awesome it would have been if I could own and hold the mighty robot my hands.

Some time later, the store on the street near my house actually had a Lion Voltron for sale. I remember that it was still very expensive, and I went to see it almost everyday after school for what seemed like months.

I remember going to the store with my friends and we would stare at it for hours through the store window. We bullshitted about who among us would be the ultimate owner of the toy. As it turned out, none of us would as our families could not afford them. As time marched on, our Voltron craze would be replaced by other childhood infatuations such as yo-yos, G.I. Joes, and BMX bikes.

As I grew up, I kept my eyes out for my chance to buy a Voltron robot but something always got in the way. Either, I didn't have enough money to buy one or the toy was just simply out of season and unavailable. I recall the last chance I had to get a Voltron was in 1994 and I missed it then because I had spent my money buying a CD player.

Eventually, the Internet would be created and web sites like eBay would make the quest for such hard to find collectables less epic. Despite being available online, Voltron still escaped my grasp since the prices of what people were selling them was way too high for a just anyone to buy.

And now that I have a decent job and this year being Voltron's 25th anniversary, I have decided to fulfill my childhood ream and purchase a Voltron figure. Now, I'm not sure how I will get it , but I made a promise to myself that this will be the definitive year.

Looking back, the yearning to own a Voltron robot never really died in me. For 25 years, it has been floating in my subconscious, influencing how I think, what I say, and sometimes what I do. This has been a hole in my soul for far too long and I truly intend to fill it with the real thing and not some kind of substitute.

My quest for Voltron helped me learn three things: 1.) You need to work hard to get what you want; 2.) There are things in this world that you can't have no matter how hard you work at it; 3.) Sometimes, life will give you a second (and sometimes a third) chance with things.

It may sound silly, but if I had a chance to find my long lost childhood friends, I would like to buy each one of them a Voltron robot. Sure, it's highly unlikely that this will ever happened, but one thing is for sure. At one point in time, a handful of kids in the poor section of the Philippines all had the same dream of owning a Voltron robot. This dream gave them something in common and brought them together in their friendship.

What about you? Do you have something that you wanted as a kid but never did get? It may sound foolish, but I hope you know it's not too late. Live your life without regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment