Thursday, December 10, 2009

New Life for an Older Netbook

One of the reasons that led me to replacing my Asus Eee PC 901 XP netbook for a newer model was because I was running out of hard drive space as Windows XP with all of its updates, kept on using up all the space of the minute 4GB SSD drive.

It reached a point where the whole device was unusable as kept asking to update and hitting an "out of space" error. Many times it would install updates halfway and get stuck as the system didn't have enough room to unpack the downloaded files.

For months, the netbook sat unused on my shelf. It wasn't until a few days ago that I decided to do something about it. I did some heavy on-line research and discovered that I could either reinstall a stream-lined version of WinXP or install a version of Linux that was designed for netbooks.

Already having too many Windows boxes on my netowrk, I decided to make an attempt to install Linux. On this path, I discovered that there were several versions of Linux that one could choose from. After reading various reviews, I decided that I would try Easy Peasy, formerly Eee PC Linux, which was designed specifically for Eee PC netbooks.

It didn't take that long to install the new OS on the device. Backing up my data actually took longer than the installation process. All in all, Easy Peasy has given my netbook a second chance at life. It is amazingly usable now and I'm am surprised at how stable it is. For the most part, this post was completely composed on it and that included picture processing.

So here's a pic of my older netbook running Easy Peasy

No comments:

Post a Comment