Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ubuntu on Everything!

Sorry for the lack of posts. I've been busy at work and a couple of side projects.

On a techie side note, I managed to successfully install Ubuntu on an "old world" beige PowermacG3 at work. It took me two weeks of tinkering to get it to work, but I actually did something that everyone around me said was a lost cause or a waste of time. I guess those people don't know how determined I can get when I have my mind set on something. So, what was essentially just a doorstop, is now a fully functional and useful Linux box.

That little adventure inspired me to put Linux on a couple of older machines that I keep for sentimental reasons. One of the laptops already had a different type of Linux on it but it didn't have a lot of applications that worked with it leaving me mostly frustrated with it. The other old laptop that ran Windows XP. It was having some major performance issue because the hard drive was starting to get really full from all updates that Microsoft keeps pumping out to correct their sloppy programming. Both laptops are doing pretty well under Ubuntu. In fact, I'm writing this post on the former WinXP box.

Using Linux, especially Ubuntu, is not scary or hard. In fact, it's insanely easy and it's very similar to what you're already familiar with. It's not some kind of "matrix" screen that some non-computer literate people think.

For me, running Ubuntu is like having all the protection and flexibility that Mac people brag about but without having to become a pretentious, tech-bling toting, douche-bag. Plus, I'm saving the environment by preventing these computers from ending up in some landfill. Can you say the same thing when you buy a computer? How many trees died to make the box, manuals, and advertising inserts? How much pollutants were released into the environment when you made all that new shiny parts of your new fancy computer?

Just because your computer is not the latest or greatest, or whether it has significantly slowed down from all the crapware you unknowingly picked up along the way, it doesn't mean that you have to chunk it and get a brand-new one. Do yourself a favor. Consider using Linux/Ubuntu to bring your computer back from a state of being obsolete and unlock it's true potential. Trust me. Your wallet and the environment will thank you.

Save a tree. Learn Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment