Monday, April 12, 2010

slotRadio: It's like Internet Radio but better

As a gadget geek, I'm always intrigued by what's new and available to the average consumers. This time, something in the realm of portable music players caught my eye – and ear.

During a random expedition to the Radio Shack in Gulf Breeze, Florida, I discovered that they were having a sale on Sansa products. Having been in the market for a replacement MP3 player, I decided to look over their selection to see if I could find a bargain. There, I found a good deal on a Sansa Fuze but what really got me was the slotRadio music cards.Publish Post

slotRadio cards are micro SD cards that contains a large library of music which can only be played on slotRadio players or select Sansa devices. Each card contains several predetermined playlists and is available in several genres such as 80's/90's, Oldies, Country, and Hip Hop/R&B. Users have the ability to skip as many songs as they want but won't be able backtrack to replay a song. This is similar to how some music streaming services like Pandora Internet Radio operate except slotRadio does not need to be connected to the Internet.

slotRadio cards are prefect for those who don't have reliable access to a computer to download music from. Also, those of you like me who can't afford to have an unlimited data plan on their iPhones or Blackberries to play Pandora an Wi-Fi hotspot isn't available, this little SD music card is worth the price. Each card supposedly holds 1000 songs and is priced at about $30 depending on where you buy them. That's basically 3 cents person and when you compare that to 99 cents per song on iTunes or whatever insane price AT&T charges for unlimited data plan (I don't own an iPhone or Blackberry, so I wouldn't know exactly how much they're mugging your wallet for). The whole things is basically a no-brainer.

Now, some of you are probably wondering if the cards have been loaded with songs that no one really wants to listen to. Perhaps, you're thinking that this is probably the reason why the songs are so cheap. Well, rest assured that each song on the cards are from Billboard's top charting artists. They're not cover bands. They're not fake. They're the real deal.

Personally, I've been enjoying the slotRadio Daily Mix and 80's/90's cards at work whenever I can't get my iPod Touch to connect to Pandora through the Wi-Fi. In reality, it's not a burden to carry the Sansa Fuze with the slotRadio card. They're relatively small and compact. Plus, they're durable enough to be in my pocket which is something I can't say about the iPod.

All in all, I think slotRadio is a great idea. It's better than the radio because it has no commercial interruptions and you can skip songs. It's on par with Internet radio but wins overwhelmingly when you don't have access to the Internet. Now, if Sandisk would only improve their telephone customer support, then everything would be perfect.

If you'd like to learn more about slotRadio, visit http://www.slotradio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment