Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bluray Player goes to Romeoville, Illinois

Somewhere in Romeoville, Illinois, my Sharp BD-HP22 Bluray player is being looked at by some repair guy working for Sharp. Hopefully, he or she will know how to get my Bluray player back in working condition.

In the last couple of weeks, I've been posting on twitter about how my Sharp Bluray player stopped playing new Bluray discs after upgrading to their new firmware. I did the upgrade because I wanted to watch the recently released Avatar Bluray disc without having the "popping time-line" glitch on my less-than-a-year-old player. The upgrade seemed like a simple process at the time. What I didn't realize at the time was that by doing the firmware upgrade that it would stop playing any of my new Bluray movies (more specifically 50GB DL type discs; old BD movies played fine).

After tweeting for about a week, @Sharp_USA finally contacted me and we did some troubleshooting through email but none of the things we tried worked. They finally asked me to ship the player to them to look at and hopefully repair it.

As of today, the FedEx tracking says that it made it to the address where I was shipping it to. So now we wait to hear what they have to say about the player. It's truly maddening to think about what I had to go through to just watch a Avatar at home.

Overall, I think the Bluray industry needs to be more clear and upfront about what will and will-not play on their players. There really needs to be clear markings and labels on all players still being sold to avoid confusion. Plus, not everyone out there will be comfortable doing a firmware update especially if it involves more than a button click. Unfortunately, these people will end up being at the mercy of people like Best Buy who charges $30 and some change to do the firmware update for you.

Right now, I'm seeing a lot of older model Bluray players going on clearance but stores typically won't label them "old model" since they want to sell them. I just feel sorry for the next guy who has to go through the insanity that I endured just so we could watch a movie at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment