Saturday, November 17, 2012

It's Alive!

Okay. I know I have neglected this blog for quite a long time, but there isn't anything I can say except that "life happens."

To be honest, the lack of macro-blogging from me is a good sign. It means that I've been very busy with work and other personal projects, that I haven't had the time and energy to post anything that's more than 140 characters. This doesn't mean that I'm closing down this blog. This blog isn't dead. In fact, it's very alive. It just means that I'm on Twitter a lot more than I am here. Don't worry this blog is alive. It's just really quiet. It's like Silent Bob. It's a blog that only says something when it really matters. 

You're probably wondering why I'm posting now. Did something significant happen? Perhaps, I won the lottery or found the love of my life. Nope. Nothing that major has happened to me. I'm still poor and underpaid. I'm still single and don't have any kids major regrets in my life. (Well, I regret drinking way too much alcohol and Mountain Dew Code Red in college, but that's it.) 

The reason I'm posting is because I picked up a Chromebook and for some crazy reason, it made me want to write/type up something. The Chromebook has a chiclet keyboard that begs to be typed on. So, really, you can thank the Chromebook for this post. Who knows? I may start blogging more regularly because of this little device. If that happens, you really need to thank Google and Samsung.

A year ago, I wouldn't have been able to imagine going about my day without my laptop or netbook. When I started using tablets, my laptop/netbook seemed, if only in my mind, heavier and a bother to carry around. As time when on, I realized, for me, tablets were not very conducive to creativity. Tablets are great for what I call "digital couch skills" like web surfing, reading e-books, playing touch screen games, and watching videos. Tablets are devices for consuming media and not for creating them.

I picked up the Chromebook because it $249 - perfect price for an poor web developer who just wants a device that's more than a tablet but not quite a laptop. (I wouldn't be so poor right now if I hadn't blown my budget buying a bunch of cellphones to do real-world/non-simulated platform testing for mobile sites and smartphone apps). 

Despite its low-end price, the Chromebook is proving to be quite capable. Sure it's not as powerful as a full-fledged laptop and is pretty much useless without an Internet connection, but I've been able to do quite a bit with the available apps for it. I can do pretty much everything I could do with a tablet and have the added benefit of a full-sized keyboard. I can do most things that I could do on my netbook but I don't see myself being able to do serious heavy web development on it nor would I want to. 

So far I'm happy with the Chromebook. Hell, it got me to post on my neglected blog and it might bring it back to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment